CCW State Law Comparisons - Firearms Training 1 (table of contents, next page)
Required firearm training for permit holders is a contentious issue whenever allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms is discussed. This section will look at the training requirements of the states with right to carry laws on the books. Included in this comparison is the proposed training requirements for Missouri.
Points will be awarded as follows:
Of the 31 states reviewed for this analysis:
Hours of firearm training required:
- 1 required a minimum of 16 hrs;
- 1 required maximum of 15 hrs;
- 1 required a minimum of 12 hrs [Prop B];
- 1 required 9 hrs;
- 2 required 8 hrs;
- 11 allowed a Hunter Safety or NRA approved course;
- 6 required unspecified training; and
- 8 had no training requirement at all.
Agency to approve training:
- 13 states required firearm training be reviewed by a state agency [Prop B].
Requalification at renewal:
- 3 states required requalification at renewal;
- 1 state allowed for requalification; and
- 27 states do not require additional training at renewal [Prop B].
Range Test Required:
- 5 states have statutory provisions that require a range test.
Physically Able to Safely Handle a Firearm:
- 9 states have a statutory requirement that the applicant can, in the opinion of the trainer or issuing authority, safely handle the firearm.
- 22 states do not provide a statutory requirement to demonstrate safe firearm handling [Prop B].
[TITLE] [DEDICATION] [ABSTRACT] [INTRO] [METHOD] [HOW TO USE]
[BASICS1, 2, 3, Chart] [CHECK, Chart] [PERMITTED WEAPONS, Chart] [PERMIT FORM1, 2, Chart] [TRAINING1, 2, Chart] [QUALIFICATIONS, Chart] [PROHIBITED PLACES1, 2, 3, Chart] [FL, TX and VA1, 2, 3]
For further information, visit our website at http://www.moccw.org/ or send email to .
[Home] [Donations] [Bookstore]